Thursday, January 16, 2014

Stepping Outside My Comfort Zone

I have a confession to make.  Today, I'm wearing an outfit that I never in a million years would have thought I would wear.  It's not that it's totally out there in the realm of ladies fashion, it's just not something that I typically would have worn in the past.

Let's rewind things a little bit all the way back to Spring/Summer 2012.  I was expecting and got to experience first hand how unflattering maternity styles were.  I was fortunate enough to not really gain much weight throughout my entire pregnancy, just a rather large basketball that stuck straight out in front of me.  Or at least it seemed like a rather large basketball to me! I didn't look pregnant from the back and thankfully, the pregnancy Gods blessed me with glowing skin and good hair! I spent the majority of the summer in my Lululemon clothes, as I found them to be the most comfortable, almost like a second skin.  I also lucked out and found some clothes at a local maternity store that didn't make me look like I was trying to either hide my pregnancy (some of those tops are so unflattering!!) or accentuating it with some of the most awful print patterns that I have ever seen. Me and my 'lulu's' were best friends that summer. I was also very fortunate that after I had my 9lb 3oz bouncing baby boy that I was able to shred all my pregnancy weight and then some and as a result, had a closet and dresser drawers full of clothes that no longer fit. And yes, I know how fortunate I am. Most people don't end up 20lbs lighter then when they got pregnant.  I also have been lucky enough to have kept the weight off. So yay! for me but not so yay for my wardrobe.

Fast forwarding to when I was planning on going back to work.  I peered into my closet and cringed.  I had clothes that I had paid good money for but they no longer fit or I had purchased more for the name brand then how they actually looked on.  I just about cried. I had been saving up money because I knew I would need some spiffy new duds (and a few pairs of shoes/boots because that never hurts anyone, right?) I first hit up a local second hand store that deals essentially only in brand name clothing.  I managed to find several good deals that didn't hurt my pocketbook and as a bonus, once I got home and checked the pockets of one of the pairs of jeans I purchased, I found $10! I had asked for gift cards to a few of my favourite stores and so I also utilized them when searching for some new pieces to add to my wardrobe.  And what was the end result? I stepped outside of my comfort zone and now had clothes that looked great on me while at the same time, didn't break the bank as well as learning a little about fashion and clothing in general.  So what did I learn?

Try it on! Try it on! Try it on!  This is something that is worth repeating.  Over and over and over again.  It's so important to try items on if you are physically able to not only because fit is so important, especially if you are shelling out some serious cash (heck, any cash at all).  Some of the items I tried on, I never in a million years would have purchased if I had gone with my first impression when it was hanging on the rack.  Skinny jeans/pants were not something that I thought would be a good fit with me - I think it was just the concept that bothered me.  I went into le chateau and this super friendly associate pushed me in the direction of a pair of black skinny dress pants and they are now my go to pant.  Go figure!  One of the sweaters that I had received the most compliments on, is one that I walked past while it hung on the rack probably 5-6 times before I finally took it with me to the change room.  And guess what? It's one of my favourite pieces now - something I can wear dressed up or down.  Who would have thunk? I've also ended up trying on all sorts of shirts that I never would have tried on had I gone with my first impression and once I've tried it on, I am amazed at how well it looks it.  Looks can be deceiving!

Shop the sales! Because I'm a smaller size, I'm very fortunate that I can usually find some great deals on the clearance racks.  And lately I have had double the luck because besides finding clearance items for a great price, when I get to the register, they have been discounted another 25-50%.  There is a catch to this though - don't buy something because the deal is too good to pass up.  I know we have all done it - bought something that maybe wasn't quite what we were looking for or didn't fit quite the way we wanted to but it was too good of a bargain to pass up.  Listen up - back away from the bargain if you have any doubts about it because really, it's not going to turn out to be a bargain - it's going to sit in your closet or end up on the floor of said closet and you are going to grumble and complain about how it doesn't fit properly or that you never wear it.  See - not so much of a bargain after all!!

Buy a few classic pieces. There are a few items in my wardrobe that I have decided that I can not live without.  Because of our climate and the insane amount of days that we have snow on the ground and chilly temperatures, I'm a huge fan of cardigans.  I recently purchased a plain black Vera Moda (one of my favourite brands) cardigan for $35 and I have found myself reaching for it on more then one occasion. It just seems to be that piece that pulls an outfit together.  For example, today I'm wearing a super goofy Vera Moda t-shirt with a cat wearing glasses on it and I tossed on the cardigan because I didn't think I would be warm enough for just short sleeves.  And the cardigan totally dressed it up.  With a few classic key pieces in your wardrobe, you can add pops of colour and some trendy items and be all set.

Think about your purchases.  Before I headed back to work, I knew I was going to be on a budget when it came to purchasing my back to school wardrobe. I was just about at the end of my shopping trip and I came across this orange Bench sweater that I totally fell in love with but didn't know if I could justify spending the $$$ on.  Would I wear it enough? What about the colour?  Sure I loved it now but would I love it 2-3 months down the road?  I walked away from the sweater but couldn't stop thinking about it.  I was out shopping with my mom that day and we were actually down in the vehicle, I had put my son in his car seat and we were getting ready to leave the mall.  I remember turning to my mom and telling her that I needed to go back and get that sweater.  I quickly ran back up to the store and it was still there and I purchased it.  It's still one of my favourite sweaters and I think I appreciate it a little more because I did stop and think about it before purchasing it.  It's not always going to work out and there's always a chance that the item you stopped and thought about won't be still there but deep down, you will feel good about your decision.  Although it's hard to tell yourself that when you go back and the item is no longer available.

So the moral to all my ramblings here? It's perfectly acceptable to step outside your comfort zone. For me, I have pushed myself to explore different fashion trends and ideas and at the same time, look for ways to do that don't break the bank.  Before I would have never stepped into a second hand store and now, that's the only place I will purchase new jeans.  I love my new look and I don't really care what others think.  I feel comfortable with what I'm wearing and really, that's the only thing that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment