Thursday, January 9, 2014

Organization and Good Intentions

I would like to think that we all have the best of intention in whatever we decide to undertake. Unfortunately I think that others maybe can't understand what your intentions are and as a result, they view your decisions as inappropriate or very self centred. I think the start of a new year is also a time where we set all these unrealistic goals and expectations for ourselves and once we have broken them, we just fall back into the comfortable routine that we are so familiar with.  With all that being said, I have thought long and hard about how I want to live 2014. I want to live with intention. And what does that mean? I asked myself that too because it's wonderful to say such a bold statement like, 'living with intention' but what does it really mean? I did a little research about living with intention and came across four statements that I think sum it up pretty well.

Dream Big. Just consider the 'whats' not the 'hows'. Don't start investigating the logistics right away.  Just enjoy dreaming for now and see where 'dreaming big' takes your mind.

Uncover Your Values. This is where I need to figure out what's important to me. When I figure out what I consider important, I can use that as a compass for each decision I make.

Prepare For Resistance. If I'm feeling resistance, it's a sign that I am on the right path. This is where it gets hard as we all know it's easy to give up if we feel any form of resistance.  It's always easier to go with the flow and follow others but it takes courage to go in your own direction.

Take A Step Forward. This is where you make sure that what you are doing today, what action's you are choosing right now, are preparing you for the kind of person you want to be a week from now, a year from now and five years from now.

I also want 2014 to be the year that I take control of the visual clutter that seems to overtake my world.  I am a sentimental person. I like stuff.  I love my possessions but there comes a point where a person needs to realise that it is just 'stuff' and move past it all, especially if the items aren't serving a purpose.  And one look in my basement and I know there is A LOT of stuff that isn't serving any purpose other then taking up space.  My trouble is that I'm attached to these items.  Why? That's a good question.  It's just 'stuff' but it's stuff that I paid good money for, my hard earned money and looking at these items that don't really have any value to me any more, makes me sad.  I also know that I need to be held accountable to getting rid of the visual clutter in my life and so I've signed up Kathi Lipp's 'The 2014 Things Challenge'.  By the end of 2014, I will have rid myself of 2014 things that no longer served a purpose in my life.  Am I scared? Yes.  Am I terrified? Hell yes! But I am so excited for this challenge. I know it's achievable to eliminate 2014 things that are no longer serving a purpose.  And heck - my parents might even benefit as I really should go through the basement at their house and rid them of all my high school and college stuff that is mostly just collecting dust.

2014 is going to be my year. I'm excited ... I'm nervous ... but most of all I'm prepared for the changes it's going to bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment